Friday, November 13, 2009

5 Hours and 9 minutes to go...

Well the end is in sight. It's been difficult, but worth it.
(Almost) 33 days. 775 hours to be exact.

Way back at the beginning, while I was still huddled under my desk, rocking backwards and forwards and wondering how I was going to get through the next 30-odd minutes, let alone the next 30-odd days, somebody said to me 'You'll probably get to the end and find you don't want all this rubbish any more.'

What madness was this? Of course I'll want it!

But now...

There's a bottle of Pepsi in the fridge, and a vending machine full of chocolate just round the corner, and yet...

I feel thinner. I feel (moderately) healthier. I feel astounded that we made it through, quite frankly, for there were more than a few shaky moments along the way.
And quite a few people have congratulated us on our efforts. For we weren't kidding when we say we live on this stuff - we do.

Or at least we did.

So somehow, eating a bar of chocolate and drinking some Pepsi at 5.00 this afternoon will seem like I'm breaking something fragile that I've made.

And before I get all maudlin, let's be blunt - when I've lost another three stone, then I can talk about 'thinner'.

So having got this far, with the finish line in sight, I'm not sure whether I will eat that bar of chocolate or not.
I'll see.

Whether I do or whether I don't, the whole thing has been worth it because of the generosity of all you good people.

I've sort of lost track of how much money we've raised, as quite often, people have pledged us one amount, and when they pay up, they've added a bit more. We're still waiting on a few donations, but if everything we've been promised comes in, we've been given something in the order of £1250, which is far beyond what we expected. We thought we'd do well to get to £500. The Alzheimer's Society (and let's not forget, that's what this whole thing is about) will be able to put every penny of that money to good use, helping people who desperately need it.

So we've said it before, and we'll say it again - thank you to everybody who's donated, encouraged, cajoled and otherwise helped.

We couldn't have done it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment